A new Help Desk for the Science/Engineering department will be created on Level 2 in this space. The individual study desks will be moved to another location and the shelf for featured books will be moved down the wall toward the door showing at the right of the photo.
A suspended ceiling with standard tiles and LED lights will replace the existing ceiling and fluorescent lighting above the Snack Zone. Access through the area will be maintained throughout the project.
When this project is complete, the Learning Commons will include both the northeast side (this project) and the northwest side of Level 3.
An alcove in the Social Sciences area on Level 1 that used to have rental lockers is being converted into three fully-enclosed, sound-proof single-user study rooms.
We brightened up and improved the aesthetics of a student study area on Level 2. The project will be complete when the furniture has been replaced.
Approval has been given for a café to be created in this space in conjunction with BYU Dining Services. Until that can happen, it is was remodeled into student study space. While the Snack Zone on Level 3 undergoes a ceiling replacement, the furniture from that space has been relocated to this space.
A frame of cherry was added to the ceiling and the lighting was enhanced to be a faux skylight above the Help Desk.
Five offices have been built in the First Year Experience area. The area outside of the offices will have new furniture to create a welcoming atmosphere for our first year students.
Complete demolition of Facilities and Receiving department made way for a new Stacks management space, new Facilities offices, new mail and supply rooms, and a better layout for the consolidated Book Repair and Conservation lab.
Projects by Status
Projects By Objective
- Bring library departments together in one physical location when possible (2)
- Create new study space for students and patrons (5)
- Enhance the flexibility of space where possible through design and furnishings (5)
- Free up naturally lit spaces on perimeter for patron seating (2)
- Improve employee workspace (3)
- Improve line of sight (5)
- Improve student study space (3)
- Organize space in a logical and consistent fashion (4)
- Utilize level 3 as prime space for students (2)